Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire


Title:Hourglass
Author:Myra McEntire
Publisher:Edgemont USA
Pub. Date:06/14/2011
ISBN:1606841440 (ISBN13: 9781606841440)
Pages:397





One hour to rewrite the past . . . 

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.


So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.


Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut





(Summary and cover via Goodreads)

              **************************************************


First of all, this cover completely drew me in. Beautiful work. Second, I loved this book! At first I thought it was an "I see dead people" book, and then I discovered it was something else entirely. It was an extremely unique concept I thought. It was so easy to read. I blew through it. The characters were all fairly likable, so I found myself cheering them on quite frequently. The story was so easy to get into, and it managed to hold my interest throughout.


My only negatives were that Emerson sometimes seemed a bit too aggressive to me. Also, why does the lead male in young adult novels so often have to be so perfect and model handsome? Why can't they be slightly good looking but really attractive to the girl in question? Personal issues aside, these two things weren't enough to take away anything from my enjoyment of the book.

There were twists and turns, and they made for a very fun experience. I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in paranormal, science fiction, or just a good romance. It had all of these elements. The ending was a bit open-ended, so I hope we get more story in the future. 

1 comment:

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

This was an awesome book and I can't wait for the next one in the series.

(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/