Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armchair BEA Day 3- Real Life Experience With Books


Welcome to my post for day 3 of Armchair BEA! Today's topic is "real life experiences with books."

I found this topic really interesting. So much of what we do as book bloggers doesn't seem to have a lot of connection with our real lives. I know some other bloggers get to do a lot of community outreach and stuff. That is pretty awesome. I've never really had the chance to do that. I haven't really met a lot of authors. I have met one though, and it was a pretty awesome experience for me.

My university has a fairly good-sized sci-fi convention every year. It was there that I got to meet Tad Williams. Because it was a fairly small event, there were really only about 10 of us there. We got to just sit and chat for a while. He was working on a new book and let us read through his manuscript. It was a fantastic time. I think as someone who was a heavy reader (and a lover of his books in particular), I was really expecting something else. More stuck-up maybe? At any rate, he was so great. He entertained all our silly questions and just entertained in general.

I got a book signed, but more than that I had a great time. I got to meet someone I admired, and luckily he turned out to be even better than I though. Another great part of that meeting was meeting other book  lovers. We were able to easily converse, and that is not something I am good at. It drew us together in a good way. And that's the power of books!

3 comments:

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

That's awesome that your school holds those types of events!

I'm attending BEA tomorrow so I'm super excited to see books, book publishing people and hopefully a few bloggers!

Here are my posts so far for Armchair BEA:
Day 1 | Introduction
Day 2 | Best of 2012
Day 2 | Giveaway | Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Day 3 | Networking

The Housework Can Wait said...

How great that your school had that event for you to go to! And it is AWESOME that he let you browse through his unfinished manuscript. I wish some of my favorite authors would let me do that, especially with all the cryptic tweeting they do about them!

Here's my Armchair BEA Networking Post!!

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

That's amazing that your school does something like that! Especially with a particular genre, if there was something like that when I was in school I definitely would have had a broader range of genres to read. I love meeting authors, it is one of the best things of being a blogger!